It’s been a while. So, here is the update on what we’ve been up to.
- Ella is obsessed with Sampson’s water and food bowls. Owen loved them as well, but they weren’t elevated at that time, so it was less of an issue. Tommy built this awesome dog food/water table, but I am afraid she’s going to pull it over on herself and that the ceramic bowls are going to break on her. Also, she wants to put the dog food in her mouth – I must dig it out at least 10 times a day. Owen was just there for the water to play in.
- Owen and I have been working on writing the letters of the alphabet. He’s not interested, but I am forcing the issue a bit – he’s interested in writing his name, but could care less about being able to write anything else. So, I am taking the approach of learning how to write other people’s names – therefore, we learn more letters. We are currently working on Allison’s name – hoping he can show her this weekend how well he can write her name. The teacher in me wants to push him a little. Because he isn’t in preschool this year, I feel like I need to be working on these things. Not sure homeschooling would ever be for me – I have to really try hard to get him excited about some aspects of “school”. If it’s math or science, he’s all over it. Boys are very different learners than girls – I am thankful I have witnessed it first hand with hundreds of kids throughout the years.
- Owen got in a stranger’s car the other day. We were at the store and had parked on the front row. When we were leaving, he asked if he could walk in front of cars on the sidewalk to our car. I said sure. I had to walk behind cars because I had the cart, but I could see him, so I wasn’t concerned. I unlocked the car and looked up and didn’t see Owen. I call his name, look around and see him sitting in the passenger seat of the car next to us. The car next to us was the exact same and they had left it unlocked, so Owen climbed on in. The whole incident lasted about 10 seconds and I thought it was funny. I woudl have died had they come out and seen my child in their car. He was embarrassed about the whole thing.
- Took the kids to see Santa. Thought Owen would love it this year – not so much. He wouldn’t smile, talk to him and the tears started welling up in his eyes. Ella was about 2 seconds away from losing it. There is always next year, right?
- Ella said her first word two days ago – da da. It’s so cute to hear her say it and she says it a lot when Tommy gets home from work. Owen’s first word was mama, so it seems fitting for hers to be da da. My baby is growing up. We also have dropped the swaddle. I babysat some kids the other day and had taken the swaddle with me for naptime and then accidentally left it there. I didn’t realize until bedtime that night, so we were without that night. I had planned on picking it up the next day, but it didn’t happen. After two nights without a swaddle, I decided we better just be done with it. So, we are. It’s strange how things just come to an end – especially when you weren’t planning on it.
- The Elf on the Shelf has come to live at our house. It’s been fun to see what he has done. Major props to Tommy for being such a great dad and willing to create anything. He made a zipline through our house for Felipe (the elf) to ride on. Owen LOVED it and was so impressed! He is always creating something cool for he and Owen to play with. My brain doesn’t work that way – I hope Owen gets that from Tommy.